Code No. 302.2
SUPERINTENDENT CONTRACT AND CONTRACT NONRENEWAL
The length of the contract for employment between the superintendent and the board shall be determined by the board. The contract will begin on July 1 and end on June 30. The contract will state the terms of employment.
The first three consecutive years of a contract issued to a newly employed superintendent is considered a probationary period. The probationary period may be extended for an additional year upon the consent of the superintendent. In the event of termination of a probationary or nonprobationary contract, the board will afford the superintendent appropriate due process, as required by law. The superintendent and board may mutually agree to terminate the superintendent's contract at any time.
It is the responsibility of the board to provide the contract for the position of superintendent. The board may issue a temporary and nonrenewable contract in accordance with law.
If the superintendent wishes to resign, to be released from a contract, or to retire, must comply with applicable law and board policies.
- Martin v. Waterloo Community School District, 518 N.W. 2ND 381 (Iowa 1994)
- Cook v Plainfield Community School District, 301 N.W.2d 771 (Iowa App. 1980).
- Board of Education of Fort Madison Community School District v. Youel, 282 N.W.2d 677 (Iowa 1979).
- Briggs v Board of Directors of Hinton Community School District, 282 N.W.2d 740 (Iowa 1979).
- Luse v. Waco Community School District of Henry Co., 258 Iowa 1087, 141 N.W.2d 607 (1966).
- Iowa Code §279.
- 281 I.A.C. 12.4.
- 302 Superintendent
Revised: 12/19/2008, 09/19/2013, 10/19/2017