Code No. 606.5
STUDENT FIELD TRIPS AND EXCURSIONS
The principal may authorize field trips and excursions when such events contribute to the achievement of education goals of the school district. The school district will generally provide transportation for field trips and excursions, at the discretion of the administration.
In authorizing field trips and excursions, the principal will consider the financial condition of the school district, the educational benefit of the activity, the inherent risks or dangers of the activity, and other factors deemed relevant by the superintendent. Written parental permission will be required prior to the student's participation in field trips and excursions or traveling outside of the state. Board approval will be required for field trips and excursions outside the state. Board approval will be required for field trips and excursion which involve unusual length or expense.
Field trips and excursions are to be arranged with the principal well in advance. A detailed schedule and budget must be submitted by the employee. The school district will be responsible for obtaining a substitute teacher if one is needed. Following field trips and excursions, the teacher may be required to submit a written summary of the event.
The following criteria will be met for all extra-curricular trips:
- That students involved be North Polk school students only.
- That the bus shall be driven by a regularly approved driver holding a commercial driver’s license and a school bus driver’s permit. In addition thereto, the buses must be accompanied by a member of the faculty, or authorized coach of said school who will be responsible for the conduct and general supervision of the students on the bus and at the place of the activity. If the faculty member, or authorized coach is an approved driver he or she can act both as driver and faculty sponsor.
- That all trips will be covered by suitable liability insurance coverage.
- That all expenses relating to the trip be borne by the organization requesting the bus and that no expense for such trips accrue to the school district.
- That all overnight and out-of-state trips must be approved in advance by the Board of Education.
Legal Reference: 390 C.F.R. Pt. 390.3(f) (2006).
Iowa Code § 279.8 (2009).
281 I.A.C. 43.9.
Cross Reference: 503.1 Student Conduct
503.4 Good Conduct Rule
603 Instructional Curriculum
Reviewed: 06/16/2005, 06/17/2010