What Is A School Permit?
A school permit allows age-appropriate students to drive back and forth to school and school activities between 5 a.m. and 10 p.m. You must use the most direct and accessible route between your home and school.
- To get a school permit you must have successfully completed an Iowa-approved driver education course, have had your instruction permit for at least 6 months from the date it was issued, and live one mile or more from school.
- One of your parents must sign a consent form and a school designee must sign the Iowa DOT form.
The license will be issued for a maximum of two years and expires on your birthday. You do not need an instruction permit when you have a school permit because the school permit will be valid as an instruction permit when not driving to and from school.
You must hold an instruction permit for six months from the date it was issued and be conviction- and accident-free during that period before the school license is issued.
Instructions For Obtaining A School Permit
Who is eligible for this meeting?
- student has completed Driver's Education prior to meeting date
- student has had an instructional permit for 6 months from the date it was issued.
- student participates in at least one North Polk school activity.
- student lives at least 1 mile from school.
- Proper paperwork has been completed.
- Student and a parent have met with school official.
What Paperwork is needed Prior to the meeting?
- Complete Section 1
- Student Information. Make sure to copy the information exactly as printed on your instructional permit. If there are two households, enter both addresses.
- Complete Section 2
- School Statement of Necessity--Write North Polk High School on the Name of School line.
- Complete Section 3
- Parent or Guardian must complete this prior to submitting to the DOT.
- Compete #2
- North Polk activities that you participate in.
- Complete #6
- Route: list your route by street name from your house to school. Do not draw a map. If there are two households, provide routes for both homes.
- Sign and date the letter.
** Send all paperwork to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ready to sign up for a meeting? Meeting Sign up Forms below.
STUDENTS MUST BE REGISTERED BY 11:30 the Friday before the meeting date!
All meetings are at 7:45am
NP High School Office
515-984-3400 ext. 2105